NORTH MANCHESTER, Ind. – The Manchester baseball team will have a lot to play for on Saturday afternoon when the Earlham College Quakers visit Gratz Field for a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m.
Four teams are jostling for the final three conference playoff spots as Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference play concludes this week. Manchester, Transylvania, Anderson, and Earlham are all in the mix entering the final weekend of the 2019 regular season.
Manchester currently stands 7-8 in league play and holds the fifth and final playoff spot by a half game over Earlham College. The Quakers will bring an HCAC record of 7-9 to North Manchester tomorrow afternoon.
The Spartans can solidify their spot in the upcoming HCAC Tournament with a split against EC. Manchester could also rise as high as third in the standings depending on the outcomes of several other HCAC series.
HCAC Playoff Scenarios:
- Spartans Finish 5th if…earn DH split with Earlham on Saturday; Transylvania splits DH at Bluffton; Anderson splits DH at Rose-Hulman; Defiance loses two of its last four games.
- Spartans Finish 4th if…sweep DH with Earlham on Saturday; Transylvania loses BOTH games at Bluffton; Anderson splits DH at Rose-Hulman.
- Spartans Finish 3rd if…sweep DH with Earlham on Saturday; Transylvania loses BOTH games at Bluffton; Anderson loses BOTH games at Rose-Hulman.
Current HCAC Standings
- Rose-Hulman – 24-9, 13-1 HCAC
- Franklin – 25-11, 12-4 HCAC
- Anderson – 19-13, 9-7 HCAC
- Transylvania – 15-21, 8-8 HCAC
- Manchester – 13-22, 7-8 HCAC
- Earlham – 15-20, 7-9 HCAC
- Defiance – 17-14-1, 6-8 HCAC
- Bluffton – 17-20, 6-10 HCAC
- Hanover – 13-19, 5-11 HCAC
- Mount St. Joseph – 9-20, 2-9 HCAC