NORTH MANCHESTER, Ind. – The Manchester University baseball team opened Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference play on high note on Tuesday afternoon as the Spartans swept rival Anderson University at Gratz Field. After battling Division I Ball State yesterday, a game in which MU carried a two-run lead into the 6th inning, the Spartans will look to build on their positive momentum this weekend during a critical stretch of conference games.
On Saturday April 6, Manchester will play a road doubleheader at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. Saturday's games are scheduled for Noon and 3 p.m. Sunday's contest with Hanover College has now been postponed to Tuesday April 9.
Saturday April 6, 2019
Sunday April 7, 2019
Hanover at Manchester – Game Postponed to Tuesday April 9 at 1 pm
Hanover at Manchester – Game Postponed to Tuesday April 9 at 4 pm
Manchester News & Notes
* Manchester sits 2-0 in HCAC play and 7-14 overall this season.
* The Spartans have won five of their last seven contests.
* Tyler LaFollette ranks second in the conference with a .425 batting average. LaFollette was named the HCAC Hitter of the Week back on March 25.
* Nick Rush leads MU this season and set a new career-high with 23 RBI. Rush's RBI total places him second in the conference rankings.
* Freshman starting pitcher Austin Kresl has had a strong start to his Spartan career. Kresl is 3-1 this season and has won three consecutive starts. He also leads the team and ranks seventh in the HCAC with a 3.00 earned run average.
Rose-Hulman News & Notes
* The Fightin' Engineers were selected to finish third this season in the HCAC Preseason Coaches' Poll that was released in early February.
* RHIT has compiled a record of 10-6 this spring.
* Rose will be playing for the first time since March 24. The Engineers' HCAC opener this past weekend against Mount St. Joseph was canceled due to the inclement weather.
* The Spartans may see starting pitcher Luke Buehler this weekend. Buehler has twice been named the HCAC Pitcher of the Week. He currently leads the league with a 0.74 ERA and ranks third in the league with three wins.
* Rose-Hulman's .320 batting average also leads the HCAC.
Hanover News & Notes
* Entering the weekend the Panthers have an overall record of 8-10.
* HC will host Earlham college on Saturday afternoon before coming to North Manchester.
* The Panthers dropped both games in their HCAC opening doubleheader to Franklin College on Tuesday.
* Mark Walkenhorst leads the conference with a .447 batting average this season.
* Hanover has gotten balanced offensive production up and down its lineup; the team ranks fourth in the league with a .290 team batting average and eight players have driven in 10 or more runs.